Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Woodpecker

I've only seen a woodpecker a few times around our house in the 10+ years we've lived here. During the past couple of weeks, we've seen, and sometimes only heard, a woodpecker. Today I saw him from our upstairs window on one of our hibiscus (which are just starting to bud)! I ran downstairs and grabbed my camera. As I opened the sliding glass door, he flew into the neighbors yard. I could still see him sometimes and I crept closer. I finally managed to catch this one shot of him - which isn't great, but better than nothing! (And, I plan on getting a better shot!) And, I think we identified him as a male Hairy Woodpecker. Next time I see him, I'll try to verify that. I love that our backyard is becoming a nature "haven!"

1 comment:

Robin said...

Oh, he is beautiful! We've had a few woodpeckers in our backyard too. I love to see them, but in the back of my mind I'm saying, "Hey! Don't touch the house... nice rotten trees---> over there!"
~Robin

Related Posts with Thumbnails