Saturday, March 17, 2007

Purple Irises


I don't know the name of this iris, but it grows in our yard and I think it's beautiful. It's a lot different than the irises we had growing up in KS and OK.
I remember my first garden... I was probably about 8 or 9 and my mom divided the 3 sides to a large bay window into 3 gardens - one for her, one for my sister, and one for me. Then, she let us take care of our own garden. I don't remember what either one of the other gardens held, but I grew purple irises. I loved them.
When we moved to TX, I brought some irises from my husband's great aunt's garden (she is quite the gardener!). Well, in 3 years, I had 1 bloom. So, I finally dug them up. I haven't seen that kind of iris blooming around here anyway. I miss my "old" irises, but I think the kind we have now are pretty, too. And, it does have a purple center, my favorite color, and a reminder of my purple irises.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails