Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Beach Finds

We recently went to the beach with some friends. We had a great day that ended all to soon. There was an unusual amount of seaweed on the beach. But, with the seaweed came some interesting "finds."

There were 2 large branches (trees?) that were in shallow water. We waded out to them and were surprised to see them covered with barnacles. I was showing the girls how you had to be careful around them or you could get a cut, and I got a small scratch myself when a wave came in.


The girls found several small crabs. I found one that a bird dropped as I approached. But, our neatest find of the day was this strange looking fellow with a red stripe down his back. While at the beach, I really was pretty clueless as to what he was. When I got home, it took quite a while for me to figure it out, but I believe he is a shrimp! And, the girls found another one, too - both alive! I've never heard of finding a shrimp on the beach. It was very cool to watch him. I held him and he has very small pinchers that he tried to pinch me with - but it only tickled. What a great way to learn!!!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Oh! I'm jealous! That is a cool way to learn. I'm wondering if it was so full of life because of the bad weather North of you. Did you have any problems because of all the rain?

Amico Dio said...

Wow! This looks like so much fun!! What a "school" day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails