Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Rollin' in the Dough

We are having a great time with Aleks online math program right now. And, I'm really trying hard to make math fun for Alexandra, since it's been her biggest complaint. As we are coming across new topics, I'm trying to make and/or find games for her to play to reinforce the concept. So, today we played a game I "made up" (although it's probably out there somewhere) and I decided to name it "Rollin' in the Dough." I thought I'd try to name my games like Peggy Kaye as I think it makes them seem more like a game!

All you need for 2 players is some die, 20 pennies, 20 nickels, 20 dimes , and 2 dollar bills. (This week, we bought a pair of purple die for me and a pair of pink die for Alexandra, so we can both use our favorite colors. It really makes the games more fun!)

The game is very simple: you roll your 2 die and collect that much money. And, you must exchange for higher valued coins when you can (ex. when you get 5 pennies, you must trade them in for a nickel). The purpose is to be the first to earn a dollar. But, to get even more practice (and make the game more exciting), we figured out who was ahead after each round of turns. So, we had to calculate how much money we had after each round. We both had fun and it was a great review.

1 comment:

Grace at Home said...

Can you share a link to the online math program you mentioned, please? I couldn't find it on your other entries. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails