Thursday, June 22, 2006

Going Classical

After reading The Well Trained Mind 2 weeks ago, I decided to try classical education. I've been working hard on what curriculum we will use, and I think we have it figured out. I'll be ordering it soon.
Here is the curriculum we plan on using:

  • Math: RightStart Level C (we completed A & are almost done with B and I think it's a wonderful program)
  • Language Arts: First Language Lessons - I still have not actually seen a copy of this, so I hope it works out. It is for 1st & 2nd grade, but I'm planning on doing it in one year. I'll see if that is possible when I get it.
  • Spelling: Saxon Phonics 2 - a friend shared this curriculum with me and I was really impressed with it. Besides being a great spelling curriculum, it also introduces a lot of history.
  • Latin: Prima Latina - I wasn't sure if we should start Latin this early, but we're going to give it a try!
  • History: Story of the World 1 (with workbook) - I think we'll love this. It has lots of activities and lists extra books we can check out from the library.
  • Piano: Music for Little Mozarts - I'll teach her this.
  • Science: we might finish Apologia Botany. We will also probably do some more lapbook studies from Hands of a Child, but this will not be one of our main "cores" this year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails