Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pole Vault (Subtraction Game)

Alexandra and I enjoyed a subtraction game called Pole Vault this week. You need a deck of card with the 10's-K's removed. (The Aces will act as 1's.) Then, both players start at 250.

The first player turns over the first 2 cards and can make a 2-digit number. (Ex. if you have a 4 and a 5 you can make 45 or 54). Then, you subtract that number from 250. You go back and forth with each player taking 5 turns or pole vault "jumps." At the end, the winner is the one closest to "0" without going under.

3 comments:

live4evermom said...

I like that idea. I guess you could also use it with addition and get to 250 for my little one. We will try this one.

Leila - mommyof4 said...

My girls will love this game. As soon as I find a deck of cards that hasn't been lost or eaten.....

Robin said...

I love that game! Maybe I'll try it for multiplication. Using your example: if you turn over a 5 and a 4, you multiply them, get 20, and then subtract that from the 250. It's kind of like a longer version of blackjack, isn't it? I'll try this on Math day and let you know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails