Saturday, December 16, 2006

Advent Reading

This Advent season, we are reading a wonderful book called The Handel's Messiah Family Advent Reader by Donna W. Payne & Fran Lenzo. Alexandra and I both are enjoying it.

Each day you read about 3 pages and then listen to a track from the CD of Handel's Messiah which is included. I've learned so much from the readings! For example, the 1st day explained why gentlemen were not allowed to wear their swords to The Messiah. The 2nd day explained how the Dead Sea scrolls were found & what they contain. And, the 3rd day talked about O. Henry's story, The Gift of the Magi.

Every story hasn't been incredible, but a lot of them have been. I got chills tonight as I read about Anna & Simeon who had both received the promise that they would see the Messiah before they died, and both saw baby Jesus at the church when they were very old.

This advent reader doesn't have any activities other than listening to the CD, but I think I might create some activities next year if we read this again. I'm just very happy with this book, especially as I was so disappointed in the book we tried to use last year.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails