Friday, February 23, 2007

Teacher for the Day

Alexandra slept late this morning as she had to take some Benadryl last night for a very infected fire ant bite. (We went to the doctor today and got some antibiotics.) So, with a very late start already and a doctor's appointment only 3 hours away, I was surprised when Alexandra said she wanted to be the teacher today and she wanted to teach me about ladybugs, history, and art. And, I decided to let her!

First of all, she wanted me to show her how I find things to teach with on the internet. She especially wanted a little booklet about ladybugs. So, we went to Enchanted Learning and found a booklet for her to print out.

Then, we decided she needed a craft and we looked around for one. She didn't find one that she liked, so she made up her own! She gave us colored paper, stickers, glue, scissors, and crayons and we were to make a ladybug picture. We had a lot of fun! (I need to take a photo still - sorry!)

Then, I told her she needed to see if we had any books about ladybugs. She quickly found a book about bugs and looked up the page about ladybugs. During school, she read the 2-page spread and we discussed these interesting facts.

She also made up a game for us to play! It was very cute & I feel bad that we only had a few minutes to play as it was time to go to her appointment.

We meant to finish the history & art sections, but didn't get around to it. We actually read and discussed the art book she wanted to use tonight for bedtime. It's called Squeaking of Art: The Mice Go To The Museum by Wellington. It's a great book that shows modified versions of some famous work. My favorite part, though, was how it explained some art terminology like "still life", "portrait", and "landscape."

I thought it turned out to be a great day. (We also spent a lot of time "decluttering" which always feels good.) And, I thought it was neat that she got a taste of what it takes for me to put her lessons together!

3 comments:

Christina said...

Hi! I was looking at your blog after you posted a comment on mine. It's a small world on the Internet. :D I looked at your blog a lot last year when I was doing some Galloping the Globe with my DS. I didn't have a blogger account back then so I never left comments.

Cyndi said...

What a precious idea, letting her teach you! I know she learned so much (like I do whenever I teach my kids.) What a fun day!

The Open Range Camping Family said...

That is such a cute idea. My daughter has asked to do that, maybe I'll surprise her tomorrow and let her teach me....I love all your ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails