Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Romans Study - Our Report Card

Alexandra & I go to BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) together. It is an incredible non-denominational, international Bible Study. This is our 3rd year to attend together, and I am amazed at the teachings.

This year we are studying Romans. I am amazed at how much deeper I am understanding Christ's work for us on the cross. And, on the way home from our Thanksgiving trip yesterday, I heard a couple of sermons on the radio that just tied in very neatly. So, I wanted to share briefly some of what I've learned:

If God gave you or me a report card, we have not earned a B+ for being "pretty good." We ALL have earned F's. In fact, we earn a big, fat zero. God says if we break the law at one point, we have broken the whole law. (James 2:10) And, as the Almighty Judge, he says that sin is punished by death. (Romans 6:23) He is a Just God, and must follow through and punish sin with death. But, He sent His own Son to take our punishment! (John 3:16)

We have to realize that we are powerless to do anything good before God. (Isaiah 64:6) God is a Wrathful God and we need saved from His wrath because we are all sinners. (I John 1:8)But, God sent His own Son to die in our place. We need to repent of our sins and accept the free gift of salvation. We need to confess Jesus as Lord and believe that God raised Him from the dead. (Romans 10:9) We can do nothing to earn it, but we will do good works to show how much we love Him and how grateful we are to Him. (Ephesians 2:8 & 9) We need to make Jesus our Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails