Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Moldova

A couple of months ago my sister-in-law asked if we wanted to go with her to Chisinau. Ummm, where? It's the capital of Moldova. Ummm, where? It's a former Soviet Republic located between the Ukraine and Romania.. Oh....


So, this week she's in Moldova. (And, no, we did not go.) This summer we are headed on a big, 2 week trip to Europe and we, too, will visit a former Soviet Republic! Our stop: Estonia.

I've been reading and researching about the former USSR the past few weeks. From what I've read Moldova is the poorest former Soviet Republic (and the poorest country in Europe) and they elected a Communist leader in 2001. Estonia, on the other hand, is the richest former republic.

There are 15 post-Soviet states and they are typically grouped as follows:
BALTIC STATES: Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania
EASTERN EUROPE: Belarus, Moldova &Ukraine
SOUTHERN CAUCASUS: Armenia, Azerbaijan, & Georgia
CENTRAL ASIA: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, & Uzbekistan
RUSSIA: Russia

The USSR dissolved in 1991 which was after I graduated from high school, so I never learned about these countries. I'm currently reading a book about Lithuania during WWII which I'll review soon! And, I hope my sister-in-law will send me a few photos when she returns.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails