Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Periodic Table of Videos

The University of Nottingham has a cool site where they've posted what they call The Periodic Table of Videos. This morning, I watched the Hydrogen video (see below). I grinned through the entire video. It even includes a "big" explosion! With older kids, this could lead to a study of some of they Hydrogen explosions the scientists mentioned like the Chernobyl disaster.



In the helium video, they cool a helium filled balloon with liquid nitrogen. It has a neat affect on the gas and the balloon! They also explain that liquid Helium is a vital coolant in Magnetic Resonance Imagine, or MRI. I just had an MRI on Monday, so this was neat to hear! (By the way, I got the results from my MRI Friday evening and everything was "normal." Praise God!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fun site. Thanks for sharing! My kids and I also enjoy the animated version of The Elements.

Anonymous said...

Great site thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails