Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Drawing the United States

We joined Classical Conversations in January, but last semester the students were working on memorizing the states and capitals. One of the resources some of the families used was Mr. Walker's Web Site on how to memorize the U.S.


Mr. Walker's method actually involves learning to draw all of the states in their proper places from memory. He does this by using neat memory devices like remembering Wyoming is off center from the other 4 "square" states below it. You ask yourself "Why" when you're drawing it and remember "Why? is Wyoming."

We're also learning the capitals as we learn to draw the states. So far, we're just working on the first 10, but I hope Alexandra and I can both draw and name all of the states and capitals by the end of the semester.

Here are a few more US geography resources:

10 comments:

live4evermom said...

I love seeing what you all are doing. Looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

That's a great website. Thanks for sharing. Eagles Wing's (the publisher of Considering God's Creation) has a card game they sell that teaches the state capitals using the same "silly picture" method. My kids didn't really like it much, but it's pretty cheap if you wanted to try it out.

We used Star Spangled States last year and the kids did pretty good at learning to recongnize the shapes of the states, where they were located, and the capitals. But, I don't think they could draw them. Maybe we'll d this as a refresher.

Rhonda said...

Wow this is really neat. Thanks for sharing the links!

Anonymous said...

Oh this makes so much sense!
Thanks,
Cheryl

Jessica said...

I love that website! What a great way to activate visual memory. I live on the east coast (as do the children I work with) so the western states are always more difficult to remember. This just might do the trick!

Ms Eva said...

Awesome! I love this! :)

Brenda @ Tie That Binds Us said...

I love The Scrambled States book, we also have the game. I'm going to take a look at the website - it looks like a great resource. Thank you for posting this and hosting this carnival. I hope you will join my history buffs carnival in April!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

you a simple and good idea. We may do this tonight for the east coast (to include our home state)

Anonymous said...

By any chance did you save the directions for How to Draw the United States? There is no more Mr. Walker's site, and my son loved these lessons. I thought I had saved them, but no luck.

Dana Leeds said...

Sorry, Anonymous. I didn't save the directions. And, we didn't finish learning with this, so I can't help you that way, either. Sorry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails