Saturday, March 21, 2009

Camera Tip for Using Macro (Moss)

I love using macro on my camera. Sometimes, the photos I capture startle me! Sometimes, I think it looks like I've used a microscope, not a camera.


While we were in Oklahoma last week, we took a drive out in the country and went on a nature walk. Our main "sightings" were mosses and lichens. I took the above photo of some moss spore capsules using the macro function on my camera. These stalks were about 3/4 of an inch tall. I just love how the "heads" look like goose heads!

The above moss also looked more beautiful using my camera than using my eye. It looks like a bunch of little stars! But, here are my 2 camera tips for using macro:

  1. Turn off the flash.
  2. DON'T ZOOM IN - Just get closer! I mean REALLY close! You might want to even get within an inch or so. The "don't zoom in" was something I learned by trial and error. Try it out for yourself and let me know what happens!

3 comments:

live4evermom said...

I love your macro shots. I can see those stars, so cool!

Teacher of One said...

I used your tips on my crayon post. I just submitted that post to the Hands on Carnival... I thought it was fitting.

Thanks for sharing.

Rhonda said...

What beautiful photos and thanks for the tips! I always enjoy your photography.

Related Posts with Thumbnails