Friday, May 30, 2008

Rear Ended... (and Pompeii)

Yep... today I was rear ended on our way to the museum to see the Pompeii exhibit. We're all fine - I was driving and had Alexandra, another mom and her son. The man who rear ended us was fine, too. But, his truck was in pretty bad shape and had to be towed. Chalk it up as another "cell phone" wreck... he said he'd just finished a call and looked down to lay it down and when he looked up, there I was. (This is a reminder to us all, I hope!)

We pulled off the road and didn't get on the road again for 2 1/2 hours! Yes, it took the police (almost) that long. It seems that the local schools in that area had gotten out early for their last day of school and were celebrating a little too hard... including throwing rocks and I'm not sure what else. So, all the local policemen were dealing with that.

It was neat talking to the other guy. Throughout the morning/afternoon, we got to talk to him quite a bit. He was so nice. He was a roofer and was on his way to a jobsite on a 3-story house. He said maybe God knew he didn't need to be going up on that house today. I loved how we just sat (I mean stood... most of the time in the sun and I did get a sunburn) and talked about God and His plans for our lives and how He watches over us.

We also had a nice lady come out of a local floral shop and give us all cold water bottles! And, the policeman who finally came said something like "Praise God the children weren't hurt."

So, we missed the Pompeii movie, but made it in time to have a very late lunch and then go through the exhibit. It was incredible! If you ever get the chance to go see some real artifacts from Pompeii... well, I'd say it was worth it. We enjoyed listening to the audio tour. And, Alexandra's favorite part was seeing the actual cast of the dog that you see in quite a few books, etc. We read a Pompeii book by Usborne this morning which is really good and reminded us about Pompeii and the who/what/when/etc.

Unfortunately, we couldn't take any photos, so I have none to share. We did get a puzzle, a book, and Alexandra bought me a magnet, so maybe I'll take a photo of them to add to this post... but right now, I'm just very tired. It's been a long day.

UPDATE: We watched National Geographic's "In the Shadow of Vesuvius" which was a good documentary.

5 comments:

Robin said...

Oh, I'm so glad you weren't hurt. That is really great that the man could have such a wonderful perspective. Hopefully it stays that way through the insurance portion.
I've never seen any artifacts from Pompeii. I think it would be really interesting. Were you not allowed to take pictures because it may damage the artifacts? Or was it because they didn't want people to see what was in the exhibit?

Rhonda said...

So glad to hear that everyone is okay. It was nice to hear you say that people still talk about God the way that they do. You don't hear too much of that anymore. Most of them are swearing when it comes to a wreck.(sigh)

The Pompeii exhibit sounded very nice. I am so glad tht you had the chance to see it. We have never been to one, but will definitely go if one ever comes around. When the "Titanic Exhibit" was here we were not allowed to take photos. I think it was because they didn't want people to see the items outside of the exhibit. I was so disappointed. I did not get to see it and was hoping that my husband would have some photos, but no such luck.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I am so glad that all of y'all are okay! And how encouraging to be around others that are not afraid to say God and look for His hand in our lives!

Anonymous said...

I'll just repeat everyone else - so thankful you are all OK. Don't get me started on cell phones....
I hope you have a restful weekend.

Melissa said...

So thankful everything turned out ok for you all and your weren't injured. And neat how you had such a great opportunity to talk about God in it.

The Pompeii exhibit sounds very neat!

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Related Posts with Thumbnails