Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Workboxes

Besides Classical Conversations, we've had 2 other big changes to our homeschool this semester. One of them is something we call "workboxes." I first read about them in March on Blog, She Wrote. The workboxes are from a system developed by Sue Patrick.


When I took these photos, I didn't have my shelves yet (and I don't know why the photos are sideways!!!). Anyway, you basically use 12 boxes per child and the boxes sit on a shelf. You put one item in each box and that is school for the day!


Some of the benefits I've found:

  • I plan ahead - each box is filled the night before and so I make copies, etc.
  • Alexandra and I enjoy seeing exactly how much work we have left to do
  • I use some of the "fun" items that have been sitting in the closet
  • We are probably finishing earlier as Alexandra wants to get to the "fun" 12th box (usually a game or a video)
  • It helps me visually see how things are laid out and spread out the more active subjects from the quieter activities

I'm really excited about this system and am still learning how to use it most effectively. Blog, She Wrote links to some other blogs and how they are using the workboxes, too.

5 comments:

Caseybumpinalong said...

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a great idea - bet my kids would love this. Now to find some shelf space...:)

Robin said...

Dana, this is a very ingenious way to show kids just how much work they still have. OR to show them how much they've gotten done. It's a great motivator.
If GB gets tired of my list on the white board, I may switch over to this idea. I love the concept.
I'm going to pop over to the blog you mentioned and check it out. I've never been there before. So that is also something new and wonderful for the day.
Thanks for sharing such a great tip!

Rhonda said...

Wow! What a great way to have your lessons. This is so neat! Thanks for sharing.

live4evermom said...

I love your see thru boxes.

Ms Eva said...

What a cool system! I'm going to give it a try! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails