Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Summer Learning Fun

We have 2 more days of school left. :-) We don't do any formal school during summer, but I still want to do some fun projects.


Last summer, we participated in Unplug Your Kids and I plan on doing it as often as possible this summer. Each week, there is a theme and you create some kind of project based on that theme. For example, this week's theme is: HOMEMADE. It's supposed to be a "surprise" but I'm thinking about making homemade noodles like my mom makes. Or, some kind of homemade food that we've never tried before.

I also plan on doing Barb's Outdoor Hour Challenges like we used to do. This week's challenge is to study woodpeckers, chickadees, nuthatches or towhees. We see the first two in our yard fairly often, so we'll pick one of those.


And, we'd like to start doing the Think! challenges again, also. We were enjoying these, but we just got too busy I guess. I think the "new" challenge will be up in a day or 2 and I'll wait for it.

So, those are 3 weekly activities we will do when we aren't on the road. I think we're going to have a great summer!

Oh, and if you know of any other weekly challenges, let me know! I'd really like one about cooking with kids - something like a weekly recipe to try.

7 comments:

Lana said...

That sounds like so much fun! I might have to use some of those. We go through the summer doing school and take the fall off.

A yucky feeling right now! But, our summer, I mean Fall is coming! :)

live4evermom said...

I might have to join in on some of your fun. That will be about all I can do for now.

Rhonda said...

Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful summer with lots of fun things to do!

My girls and I used cooking activities from this site last summer and they were so much fun.

http://www.kids-cooking-activities.com/index.html

The site used to send out weekly cooking activities for free, but is now charging a small fee. Even if you choose not to use the activities, there are tons of free recipes to try out. I hope you enjoy it.

Robin said...

Looks like fun. Like you, we've done all those things in the past and have kind of fallen out of the habit. But maybe it's time to look into them again. I really have always liked the _Think!_ activities.
Have you ever tried any of the activities on the Zoom site? We've had a lot of fun with some of them.
http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/

Melissa Telling said...

Dana,
Jimmie at One Child Policy Homeschool has moved her blog. There is a notice on her blog, but I'm not sure it showed up in the feed and I don't know if you ever check the blog manually. Just thought I'd let you know.

Melissa

Theresa said...

Sounds like a great plan for summer! You know Barb of the Outdoor Hour Challenges also has an art blog where she does "Sketch Tuesdays". http://harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/
You may want to add that to the mix as well!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a wonderful summer!!

Blessings,
Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Related Posts with Thumbnails