Thursday, May 17, 2012

Book Review: The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels: A Love Story

Two weekends ago while we were on our ranch in Oklahoma, I read Ree Drummond's wonderful book, The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels: A Love Story. I don't usually read love stories, but this was a (clean!) autobiography and I really enjoy the way Ree writes. (I've read her blog, The Pioneer Woman, off & on.)


The book is the story of how Ree, a city girl, met and fell in love with an Oklahoma rancher. The book is witty and engaging. And, it taught me about my future as a rancher's wife!

Our young bull who somehow found his way into the main pasture!
(All photos are from 2 weekends ago while I was reading this book)
I, too, grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. And, I also became a city girl - though my city is Houston, not Las Angeles. But, I was already married when I moved here. And, I am in the process of learning how to be a rancher's wife!
After eating, some of our cows cooled off in a pond.
Early last year, we bought 378 acres of ranchland in northeastern Oklahoma near my husband's family. Then, we started buying cattle. We now have 105 momma cows - and a lot of babies. My husband's interest in ranching stems from his childhood when he helped his grandfather raise cattle. I have never been around cows before, and I have a lot to learn!

our 5 registered Angus bulls
I love being out on our ranch! And, on Sunday I went with my husband to feed the cows. We have our land divided into 6 pastures (and will be adding a 7th). Our cattle our currently divided onto 4 of those pastures. Our main herd is divided into two groups; our small group of registered females (& their calves) are on a 3rd pasture; and our 5 bulls (now 6!) are on a fourth.

Our 8 registered Mama Cows & their calves
As we drive around, we check on the cows to make sure they all look OK. We also watch for moms that are getting ready to give birth. This day, we found one way off by herself. We drove around her and made sure she didn't look like she was having any trouble. Usually it's the first time moms that have trouble, and all of our moms have given birth before.

I recommend Ree's book even if you don't have plans to be a rancher's wife! It's a very entertaining love story. And, I'll finish up by sharing from the jacket of the book...

I’ll never forget that night. It was like a romance novel, an old Broadway musical, and a John Wayne western rolled into one. Out for a quick drink with friends, I wasn’t looking to meet anyone, let alone a tall, rugged cowboy who lived on a cattle ranch miles away from my cultured, corporate hometown. But before I knew it, I’d been struck with a lightning bolt…and I was completely powerless to stop it.

Read along as I recount the rip-roaring details of my unlikely romance with a chaps-wearing cowboy, from the early days of our courtship (complete with cows, horses, prairie fire, and passion) all the way through the first year of our marriage, which would be filled with more challenge and strife – and manure – than I ever could have expected.

This isn’t just my love story; it’s a universal tale of passion, romance, and all-encompassing love that sweeps us off our feet.

It’s the story of a cowboy.

And Wranglers.

And chaps.

And the girl who fell in love with them.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I too have enjoyed Ree's blog for several years and can remember when she posted installments of her "love story." She's talented beyond belief!
And I too grew up in a small Oklahoma town...my stomping grounds were way out in Southwest Oklahoma where there are grain elevators and miles of cotton.
I hope your family's venture into the cattle industry is profitable. We live in north central Ok and usually just dabble in it. We've only forty acres so we're a bit limited but I love the country and our way of life :-)!
Blessings, Julie

Homeschool on the Croft said...

How wonderful to read of your venturing into ranch-life. Wow ... I am in awe.
I loved the book too. She is so, so funny, isn't she! I think I loved reading this book because I know that teens of years on, they are still married, have been blessed with four kids, and are still happy together. That makes it *much* more romatic :))

lahbluebonnet said...

I like YOUR story! I didn't you two had Oklahoma origins. I'd have guessed you'd do a ranch in Texas, since you live in Houston now, but being near family makes sense. Long distance ranching must be a challenge though!
Laurie

Related Posts with Thumbnails