Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Math with an Abacus


(photo: Alexandra learning double digit addition with carrying using her abacus. She often dresses up during school, and the robe was part of her princess outfit this day.)

We have used RightStart (www.alabacus.com) math since the beginning and I think it's a great program. It uses an abacus as a primary way to teach addition and subtraction.

I was amazed last week as I introduced double digit addition with carrying and she understood it so well! While using an abacus, they can actually see why they need to "carry." For example, when you have more than 10 "ones" beads, you physically trade them in for a "ten" bead. I think it's a great way to learn!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being a new blogger, I would like to tell you that you have given me much knowledge about it. Thanks for everything.

http://www.maths-n-abacus.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails