Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Perseid Meteor Shower

Alex and I went to our new lake house on Thursday so we could see the 3 planets which would be near the moon and watch the Perseid Meteor Shower. Well, it was cloudy all day and we were worried we wouldn't see anything. I did catch the sunset from the deck on the roof of our boathouse. But, the clouds persisted and we never saw the moon, the planets, or the meteor shower.


The next night, however, was clear! And we saw a beautiful moon set across the lake. I can't believe I didn't get my camera! And, as we watched, we saw 4 'shooting stars' over a period of about an hour. Alex was thrilled. So was I! And, we weren't even seeing these in the correct location for the Perseid shower.

We also read a book about meteors which taught the difference between meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids. (Do you know the difference?) Unfortunately, it did continually mention "millions of years ago" so I wish I would have grabbed our "Exploring Creation with Astronomy" book instead!

P.S. We had our 'back to school' swimming pool party for our homeschool co-op and two moms mentioned that they check my blog all the time. Thank you for that! And for inspiring me to get back to it. I know I haven't been around much this summer!

5 comments:

Katie said...

I don't comment enough but just had to post a quick Love your Blog. From one homeschool mom to another.

homeschool101 said...

I think for a while some of us bloggers got pooped out blogging. Lol. I am just getting back at it to. Lol. :)

We did get to watch some of the showers but we definately watched 2 nights in a row as the planets came together around the moon and to the east Neptune, Uranus, Jupiter lined straight up. Now Neptune is further off to the right.

Last night my husband seen PLUTO brighter then it has been in a while. It stood out so bright. [1a] was a sight to see. Been a blast watching the sky.. Have a great night.. :)

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Well, it's a pity you didn't wee what you went looking for, but.... oh the view in the photo - THAT was worth going for, I think! It looks soooo peaceful.
Looks wonderful
Love, Anne x

Paula (Belgium) said...

How nice to have a 'back to (home) school' party at the pool. Here it would be a 'dancing in the rain' party, with all the Dutch and Belgium rain showers.

Samantha said...

Hello! I'm visiting from To Be Busy at Home. Thank you for your comments about the molecules. I didn't mention it in my post but I found the Molecule Kit at JoAnn Etc. and was able to use a 40% off coupon. So, I would think other places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby would have the kits as well. There were kits available in which the atoms were already painted but I preferred to have my boys paint them, and it was less expensive.

The meteor shower sounds fabulous!

Samantha

Related Posts with Thumbnails